There are 2 ways to get people to follow you:
- Manipulate (fear, peer pressure, price drop)
- Inspire (Apple, Harley Davidson, Southwest)
Manipulation works but those strategies don’t breed loyalty.
All Inspiring Leaders use Golden Circle
- Know why
- Discipline of How – Hold yourself accountable
- Consistency of what. Everything resonates with your Why
When all these align, we model authenticity. What we say matches what we do. This engenders trust with our followers.
Start with Why to build trust.
Trust is born out of Values and Beliefs. Trust enables selflessness. With Trust, people work for our Blood, Sweat and Tears. Without it, they work for our money (at best).
Trust, belief and faith all live in the feeling part of the brain, not the rational side. We often don’t act on fact. All we have is the undying belief of a person who can put it into words clearly enough that I can see it too. We always choose uncertain, intangible future that’s clearly communicated over known quantities.
When we have a clear sense of direction, we’ll achieve. Without direction, we wander in the wilderness, count our steps and call it progress.
- Do you believe what I believe? (Why)
- Do you share my values? (How)
- Are you consistent? (What)