Top Posts of 2013
2013 was the year I felt like I really hit my blogging stride. For the most part, I kept up a good pace, maintained my class podcasts, sermons and added The StoryMen Podcast. The reader community here has grown and we’ve had some fantastic conversations surrounding the various films and books I’ve reviewed.
2013 also saw my biggest design overhaul yet, and I’ve been thrilled with the results (Huge thanks to my design and photography guy, Brandon Sharp).
What follows are my 10 most popular posts of 2013, determined by total amount of web traffic.
They’re not necessarily the posts I’m the most proud of (those would probably be the Eminem post and my piece on Thor’s Combat Mythology). But they’re the pieces that were the most read (and in many cases, the most-discussed). Here’s the list:
10. Eminem’s “Rap God” – My first foray into writing about music began appropriately enough with Eminem.
9. What Bible Translation Should I Use? – Spoiler: any translation you can actually understand.
8. Film Review of Elysium – I explored the religious themes of the film that were slightly subtler than the political themes.
BONUS: World Religions Podcast – A class I taught exploring eight world religions: what they believe, where they overlap with Christianity and where they differ.
7. Friends Aren’t Friends Forever – Rumors of a Friends reunion were quashed by the showrunner who claimed the cast doesn’t have any more stories to tell.
6. The Warning of Olympus Has Fallen – A surprisingly great action flick that had some powerful mythological undertones.
5. Book Review of What We Talk About When We Talk About God by Rob Bell – Rob Bell’s new book frames conversations about God in language that’s as relevant to contemporary culture as it is to the biblical text. Challenging and provocative.
4. 5 Reasons not to Freak Out that Ben Affleck is the New Batman – Everyone freaked out. I told them not to.
3. Why Man of Steel isn’t a Superman Story – I loved a lot of Man of Steel. But Snyder and Noland’s “gritty” reboot missed the heart of what it means to be Superman.
2. Zero Dark Thirty vs. Gangster Squad: Does Right make Might? – I’m not sure why this piece got so much traffic. But it still gets several hits every day.
1. Film Review of Iron Man 3 – This film set Marvel’s Cinimatic Universe Phase II off to a great start. After this film, I can’t wait to see what happens next to Tony Stark.