Seven keys to Opening the Front Door
Remember that every Sunday is someone’s first Sunday. The regular attendee’s perspective changes when they invite someone to a gathering.
Focus on relevant + practical teaching.
Ensure that your programming is excellent. Excellence eliminates distractions.
2. Get your people fired up to reach their friends & family
In everything you do, build trust with attendees.
Honest evaluations are vital. Every church suffers from “Insiderness“. A church’s natural gravitational pull is inward.
One of my # 1 jobs is to keep the church’s focus outward.
3. Kids and Student Ministry can be front doors
Invest in these key ministries with money and quality volunteers
4. Build a Front Door Team
This can be either Staff or Volunteers.
Focus on the Front Door before Back Door. Create some chaos, then figure out how to manage it.
5. Facilities can open the Front Door.
Facilities can facilitate momentum (Not create. If you don’t already have some momentum, a new facility will be a burden, not a boon.)
6. Adding Gatherings can open the Front Door
New gatherings create growth, excitement and momentum. Starting new gatherings on-site has huge advantages over starting a new site.
- Serve 1, worship 1: Multiple gatherings = opportunities serve. At People’s Church, those who worship in one gathering volunteer in Kids Church during another gathering.
- More gatherings means more opportunities to serve means people commit and take ownership.
- Financially it’s possibly more responsible to maximize what you already have.
7. Eliminate Excuses and Lead
Our job as leaders is to take them where they NEED to go moth here they WANT to go.
Don’t say, “Our people won’t _________.” The truth is, we as leaders haven’t led them to ______. One of our greatest weaknesses is that we don’t take our responsibility.
Shutting the Back Door
Follow Up starts on Sunday. It starts in the parking lot. Most people decide if they teaming back within the first 5-10 minutes of their visit.
2. Make the Next step clear
Do we know what our Next Step is?
Do our visitors know what the Next Step is?
People need to be needed & known (in other words, get new persons Serving and connected in a Small Group).