Dayton, OH has been home to Amanda and me for the past 5 years. Here are the top 10 things we’re going to miss about the Gem City, Ohio’s crown jewel.Continue reading
Amanda and I are off on our next great adventure – we’re moving to Dallas, TX!Continue reading
A prayer offered at Beavercreek Church of the Nazarene in the wake of the shooting of Mike Brown in Ferguson, MO last week.Continue reading
Amanda and I got married 5 years ago today… I take a moment to reflect on what that’s meant so far.Continue reading
Duke Professor J. Kameron Carter uses films Avatar and District 9 to investigate whether America is truly a postracial culture. Spoiler: no!Continue reading
Russell Moore celebrates the loss of Christian influence in popular culture.Continue reading
Economist Brian Fikkert examines the Western assumptions about what success looks like. He suggest that we’re actually impoverished, that our spiritual need blinds us to better ways to help the Global South.Continue reading
President and Founder of THE EXPECTATIONS PROJECT Nicole Baker Fulgham outlines what we must do if we truly want to promote the flourishing of the least fortunate.Continue reading
Father Bruno Shah, OP calls us to recover the Christian imagination of love. We learn to imitate Jesus (the ultimate lover) particularly through our worship.Continue reading
Donna Freidas was teaching a course on sexuality and spirituality. All of her students talked about “hooking up”. After Spring Break, they were all debriefing when one student said,
I hookup all the time and I don’t know why. I don’t even like it.
The other students all agreed. Donna was shocked, so she began studying the collegiate hookup culture. She found that young adults believe they are supposed to be casual about sex in college.
Official Social Contract of the Hookup:
- Anything from kissing to sex
- Feel zero emotional attachment so you don’t get attached. Communication is bad because it leads to attachment.
- Alcohol (This last aspect is technically unofficial, but alcohol is nearly always involved.)
Stats on attitudes about hookups
- 41% are profoundly unhappy
- 23% are ambivalent (“whateverist” — Donna’s term for those who are casual about… everything. They’re a growing population)
- 36% more or less “fine” (not great/good/fun/etc)
Hookups are Efficient
College Students are Missing Romance & Dating
- Both men and women yearn for romance
- Both men and women wish for old-fashioned dating.
Romance is very chaste. It’s talking (for like 5 hours). It’s no technology. Romance is communication. It’s connection. It’s knowing and being known. It’s a lavish amount of time.
Responding to Hookup Culture
- Teaching YAs to slow down. (In life)
- Pressing “pause” on participating in hookup culture (maybe even for a weekend). This is sneaky abstinance.
- Start talking about romance, love, dating intimacy, and overall relationship skills.
Christianity is bigger than its teaching against premarital sex. If that’s our only response, we teach kids that the only thing that matters when they’re young is to not have sex. That’s an impoverished view of Faith. — Donna Freitas